As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links.
Keeping a clean home is something that’s really important for me. However, I have neither the energy or the focus to dedicate endless hours to keeping my home looking spotless. I am all about the quick and easy cleaning methods.
Luckily for me, our trusty Roomba has been a big help in keeping our home looking amazing. However, our house can often smell a little stale/old with all the moisture in the Hawaii air. So a good carpet deodorizer is a handy tool in keeping my home smelling fresh and clean.
But, I am picky about scents. I don’t like anything that smells too sweet, or too floral, or vanilla scented anything (besides for real baked goods!). I have a hard time finding scents I like in the store. And many options are filled with artificial fragrances which cause chaos for my allergies. So I created a simple 2 ingredient recipe that kills bacteria and deodorizes your carpet.
Made with Baking Soda and essential oils it is inexpensive, customizable, and quick to make. It smells divine and I can switch up the scent on a whim if I so feel inclined.
SCROLL DOWN TO THE BOTTOM FOR 4 BONUS SCENT RECIPES
What makes this Carpet Deodorizer work so well?
Baking Soda is the star of this carpet deodorizer. It is a strong natural deodorizer. It is sodium bicarbonate. Baking soda neutralizes all different types of odors instead of just covering them up with scents and perfumes. Your grandma knew what she was doing when she always kept a box in her fridge. So, next time you’re at the store grab a box or two to keep on hand at home.
For this recipe I chose baking soda because it is easy to use, non-toxic, inexpensive, and readily available.
Essential Oils have amazing properties derived from the plants that create them. They are chemical-free and long lasting.
For this recipe, I chose Lavender Oil. It is a mild, calming oil. And it smells amazing too. Lavender Oil has natural anti-bacterial properties and leaves your carpet smelling fresh and clean. Lavender is also a safe oil to use around children.
What you need for your DIY Carpet Deodorizer:
- 16oz Mason Jar or a recycled cheese shaker
- 1 Disposable Cup Cake Liner
- 1 Box Baking Soda (14oz)
- 15 drops Lavender Essential Oil
How to use your Carpet Deodorizer:
- Clean and dry your mason jar. Make sure it is completely dry or your baking soda may clump together and become hard to shake out onto the carpet.
- Add 2 Cups of Baking soda to the jar. Add the Lavender Essential Oil. Then, replace the jar lid and shake it well.
- Next, remove lid. Take inner circle out of the lid’s ring. Replace with a cupcake liner. Use a toothpick to poke several holes in the paper. (Alternatively, you can use a recycled parmesan cheese shaker.)
- For best results sprinkle on carpet and let rest for at least 30 minutes. After resting for 30 minutes, vacuum up the powder. If you’re pressed for time you can absolutely vacuum right away. The longer it sits on your carpet the better it works.
- It may take 1-2 passes of the vacuum to get it all up. For best odor absorption, you can leave it on the carpet overnight especially in areas with light traffic.
- After using your new deodorizer, you can place the jar in the refrigerator or linen closet for bonus deodorization! Or, replace the lid after use to keep the mixture ready for your next vacuum. (Keeps up to 6 months in a jar with the lid on. Shake really well before next use.)
Alternative Essential Oil Blends for an Amazing Scent:
- OnGuard Oil- 7 Drops
- Orange Oil- 8 Drops
Fresh Cut Herbs
- Basil Oil- 5 Drops
- Oregano Oil- 3 Drops
- Clary Sage or Lavender Oil- 4 Drops
Fresh and Clean
- Geranium Oil- 3 Drops
- Lavender Oil- 3 Drops
- Lemon Oil – 3 Drops
- Tea Tree Oil- 3 Drops
- Lemon Oil- 5 Drops
- Lime Oil- 5 Drops
- Orange Oil- 5 Drops