As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links.
Self Care is being touted as the next modern revolution in personal growth and mental wellness. Although Self Care isn’t a cure-all, there is something to be said about taking care of ourselves. Pouring from an empty cup takes a toll on our mental health, relationships, and productivity. Self Care comes in many different forms. And DIY Self Care can help you to reduce your stress, build confidence, and practice creativity!
Awesome Examples of Self-Care
- Physical- Exercising, Eating Healthy, Hydrating
- Relaxation- Meditation, Getting enough sleep, Sitting down after a long day
- Environmental- Getting Outside, Making your bed, creating a cozy reading nook
- Intellectual- Reading a good book, doing sudoku puzzles, playing a video game
- Creative- Writing, painting, photography, doodling
There are so many different ways to practice self care. But, the most important type is the one you actually do. Taking time to check in with yourself and actually practice these things can be difficult.
Can I get a big DUH inserted here
When I first started adding Self Care into my mental wellness regimen during a deep depression I really struggled to carve out time. I felt like I couldn’t do any of the above things regularly enough to really be a success at any of them. So, I took a bath a few times a week.
I made it really special. I got out all the bubbles, put on a face mask, made my own bath salts. This did not cure my depression and anxiety. But for an hour 3 days a week, I could relax and breath.
Sitting in that soapy water allowed me to just be at peace for the first time in a long time.
Now, I’m not suggesting that bubble baths or self-care for body will cure your mental illness, it won’t. But it is a great addition to your routine. It allows you to invest both time and mindfulness into yourself.
So today to honor the beginnings of my own personal self-care journey, I’ve rounded up over 20 awesome DIY Bath and Beauty Products from around the blogosphere.
Not only can you use these products in your self-care routines, but making them and creating these counts too! Happy mixing!
DIY Self Care Products
DIY Skincare Recipes
- DIY Facial Toner for Sensitive Skin– This easy to make recipe is tailored to sensitive skin. It combines easy to find items with personalizable essential oils, to help target your skin’s woes. I’ve been using this recipe for over six months and love the way it’s helped my hormonal breakouts.
- Moisturizing Cleansing Balm– Only two ingredients make this recipe among the easiest on the list. Cleansing Balm helps to replenish moisture, melt away makeup, and restore a
- Peel Off Mask- An easy recipe that can be made with ingredients found in your kitchen. This is a great recipe for blackheads and large pores.
- Lazy Days Skin Serum– Made with just 4 simple ingredients this serum is great for all skin types especially dry or sensitive skin types. Rose Water, aloe and olive oil are all
–natural and sure to help perk up dull skin.
- Overnight Turmeric Serum– Perfect for restoring a healthy glow, this serum is anti-inflammatory and will help with redness, inflammation, and blemishes.
DIY Hair Care Recipes
- Coconut Oil Moisturizing Hair Mask– Coconut Oil is often touted as a wellness miracle. It has amazing moisturizing and antibacterial benefits. Apply copious amounts of this mask to your hair starting at the ends. Make sure to rinse or wash your hair well after using a coconut oil mask.
- Easy DIY Sea Salt Hair Spray- Get soft beachy waves that will leave you feeling like a real-life mermaid. I love a good sea salt spray! The conditioner and coconut oil in this recipe
keepsit from being too drying on your hair, while still helping create gorgeous waves. Just spray on and scrunch for a no-fuss hair day.
DIY Bath Recipes
- Harry Potter Themed Bath Bombs– These Expecto Patronum bath bombs are colorful, cute, and a great Lush dupe. I can’t wait to give these a try!
- Out of this World Bath Bomb Recipe– These Milky Way themed bath bombs are fun, colorful, and nourishing. Great for a nice long self
- Muscle Relief Bath Bombs– Made with peppermint oil these bath bombs are perfect for sore muscles and tension headaches. Soak away your soreness with these babies.
- Four Ingredient Epsom Salt Soak– Super simple, and also makes an awesome gift. This homemade
E psomsalt soak will help relieve sore muscles and can be made in under 5 minutes!
- Homemade Sugar Scrub Bars with Coconut Oil- Scrub away dry, dull skin with this homemade recipe. Another DIY that doubles as an amazing gift.
- Sinus Congestion Soak- This special mix of essential oils, Epsom salt, and baking soda is a great addition to your tub during a cold or allergy attack. Don’t have a tub? Sprinkle some in the corner of the shower just outside the water stream and let that eucalyptus kick your colds booty!
- Oatmeal Bath for Eczema and Sensitive Skin- Dry skin can be a real problem especially if you have psoriasis, eczema, and/or sensitive skin. Oatmeal is nourishing and moisturizing. I remember my mom giving me oatmeal baths as a child when I got the chickenpox. This is a great and therapeutic recipe.
Other DIY Self Care Bath and Beauty Items-
- Amazing Reef-Safe Chemical-Free Sunscreen– This sunscreen uses non-nano zinc along with SPF rich oils and other natural ingredients to protect your skin from harsh UV Rays.
- All Natural DEET-Free Bug Spray– This all-natural bug spray smells amazing and works great. Protect your precious skin from pesky biting insects on hikes, in the yard, and during those end of summer campouts.
- Beeswax Based Lotion Bars- I love lotions bars! I have been making them for several years and love the moisturization they provide for my skin. They are easy to use and won’t burst open if you carry one in your handbag. When I lived in snowy Michigan I would use these to prevent and treat cracked winter skin.
- DIY Lip Balm– easy to make and a perfect way to reuse mint tins and other containers.
- DIY Liquid Hand Soap- This easy recipe is moisturizing and nourishing. It will leave your hands’ germ-free and soft as can be.
- DIY Warming Muscle Rub- with camphor, menthol, and cinnamon this warming muscle rub packs a punch. Ease away your aches and pains with this rub.
- Easy 7 Step Manicure- This guide to getting a perfect at-home manicure, is easy, informative, and will leave your nails looking amazing.
You’ve got the Recipes! Now, it’s time to mix them up and relax.
Dedicating a little time to yourself is a great way to destress. By taking the time to make personalized bath and beauty items to add to your self-care routine you are not only practicing creativity but also self-love. Paying attention to what you like and your body needs is a great way to check-in with yourself.
An hour or two each week pampering yourself at home can reduce stress, increases joy, and confidence. These DIY Self Care products will be sure to leave your face, skin, and body feeling and looking great. I hope by practicing a little self-care and the other elements of a healthy lifestyle, you will feel as rejuvenated as your skin will look.