Have you ever heard that a Full Moon brings out the crazies? Well it may or may not be true. But, the Full Moon does pack some seriously powerful energy. Our Full Moon Journal Prompts can help you unpack what’s bothering you, say goodbye to negative thoughts and harness those high-energy vibes.
The moon has always fascinated me, the different phases, the sheer beauty, the reminder of a different world. It a cyclical nostalgia that just calls to me. When I recently found out I was born during a full moon, it made a TON of sense.
The moon has been used for centuries to tell time, track tides, help sailors and travelers to navigate, and celebrate the changing of seasons. It should come as no surprise that you too can harness some of the moon’s magic!
Each month as the full moon approaches I often find myself feeling “some type of way.” It can be hard to put a finger on.
Full Moon- A full moon is when the sun lights up the moon. This is a time of release and intention setting.
Waning Moon- A waning moon cycle means that the moon is slowly become less illuminated causing it to look smaller. This is a time of gratitude forgiveness and surrender.
New Moon- The moon disappears when it is caught between Earth and the Sun. As the new moon cycle begins this is a time of new beginnings.
Waxing Moon- A waxing moon cycle is when the moon appears to be growing as it becomes more and more illuminated from the sun. This is a time of intention, decision making and refinement.
What is Full Moon Energy?
The full moon lights up the sky, but its energy can also help to illuminate many things in our lives. Think of full moon energy as bright, powerful, and social. Full moon energy can be used to help us shed light on dark negative thoughts, complete impossible tasks, and saying GOOD-BYE to things that aren’t serving us.
2020-21 Full Moon Dates (Northern Hemisphere)
|2020 Full Moons||Date|
|Beaver Moon (and lunar eclipse)||11/30|
|2021 Full Moons||Date|
7 Full Moon Journal Prompts
In addition to journaling for anxiety and depression, I journal daily to track my thought patterns, moods, and behavior. It helps me to decrease my stress and readjust my mindset. But, that full moon energy is powerful and radical.
So, this list of journal prompts is curated to dig a little deeper into your full moon feelings and cultivate that powerful illuminating energy of your inner self.
- The things I would like to accomplish in the next month are…
2. One thing that’s been holding me back lately is….
3. Five Intentions I will set during the Full Moon are:
4. Describe your full moon dreams? What do you think they mean?
5. I can feel more connected to myself by….
6. I can feel more connected to the universe by…
7. I can feel more connected to my loved ones by….
How to Get the Most our of Your Full Moon Journal Prompts
In order to get the most out of your journal prompts the following tips are great reminders.
Your journal is for you- Write whatever you want or need to in your journal. It doesn’t have to be beautiful or to read like a Hemingway novel. Your journal is for you only, so try not to put too many rules or restrictions on the way you journal. Don’t get hung up on spelling errors, crossing things out or skipped pages.
Re-read your journal- And review your past emotions, experiences, memories, and moods.
Date your entries- This allows you to better track and outlines your emotional timeline. Dating your entries helps to improve reflection and identify patterns.
Be Honest- Your journal is just for you and the writing inside will reflect that. Go slow and process the emotions and entries that are harder for you to write. Being honest with yourself will improve the benefits of your journaling journey.
Full Moon Rituals
Creating a full moon ritual can shed light on and help purge negative energy, bad habits, and toxic thought patterns.
Three Easy Full Moon Rituals to Try Now
- Clear the negativity in your home! Light some sage (or palo Santo), and walk around your home allowing the smoke to permeate each room absorbing the negative energies. Make sure to open a window during or after to draw the negative energy away from your home and body. Spend time visualizing these negative energies floating up and away from your body and your home. After you feel emotionally lighter and the smoke has cleared you can close the windows.
- Take a Full Moon Cleansing Bath to wash away your doubts, negative belief, and bad habits. Lighting candles and using epsom salt with lavender and rose can help to remove these negativities while promoting relaxation and self-love.
- Preform a burning ceremony. Write down the feelings and habits your like to kiss good-bye and then burn the piece of paper in the light of the full moon. While you complete this ritual imagine the things on the piece of paper leaving and never coming back. How will you feel when they’re gone? What can you accomplish without their weight on your shoulders? When the paper has turned to ash rinse wash the bowl or ash tray and watch the ash disappear. This prevents the negative energies from coming back.
Full Moon Journal Prompts in Action
The above prompts can be used each and every month to reset your intentions, shed negativity and activate your positive energy. When incorporated with full moon rituals and meditation, these journal prompts can truly be transformative.