Wow, the sky sure is dark without the moon! But, don’t be scared. The new moon is full of darkness, but it’s a chance to get crystal clear on your vision and begin anew. Our New Moon Journal Prompts can help you reset your expectations, set exciting goals, and achieve your dreams.
The moon has always fascinated me, the different phases, the sheer beauty, the reminder of a different world. It a cyclical nostalgia that just calls to me.
The moon has been used for centuries to tell time, track tides, help sailors and travelers to navigate, and celebrate the changing of seasons. It should come as no surprise that you too can harness some of the moon’s magic!
New Moon- The moon disappears when it is caught between Earth and the Sun. As the new moon cycle begins this is a time of new beginnings.
Waxing Moon- A waxing moon cycle is when the moon appears to be growing as it becomes more and more illuminated from the sun. This is a time of intention, decision making and refinement.
Full Moon- A full moon is when the sun lights up the moon. This is a time of release and intention setting. These Full Moon Journal Prompts can help to shed negative energy and harness that moon power.
Waning Moon- A waning moon cycle means that the moon is slowly becoming less illuminated causing it to look smaller. This is a time of gratitude forgiveness and surrender.
What is New Moon Energy?
The new moon energy is dark and blank, allowing us to reset our intentions, develop our understanding, and move past any blocks we’ve been up against. New moon energy helps us to jump start our motivation and set exciting goals. It is a time of introspection, self discovery and personal growth. The New Moon is the perfect time to begin a new self care routine.
2020-21 Moon Dates (Northern Hemisphere)
|2020 New Moons||Date|
|2021 New Moons||Date|
How to Get the Most our of Your New Moon Journal Prompts
In order to get the most out of your journal prompts the following tips are great reminders.
Your journal is for you- Write whatever you want or need to in your journal. It doesn’t have to be beautiful or to read like a Hemingway novel. Your journal is for you only, so try not to put too many rules or restrictions on the way you journal. Don’t get hung up on spelling errors, crossing things out or skipped pages.
Re-read your journal- And review your past emotions, experiences, memories, and moods.
Date your entries- This allows you to better track and outlines your emotional timeline. Dating your entries helps to improve reflection and identify patterns.
Be Honest- Your journal is just for you and the writing inside will reflect that. Go slow and process the emotions and entries that are harder for you to write. Being honest with yourself will improve the benefits of your journaling journey.
10 Journal Prompts for the New Moon
These journal prompts were written with new moon energy in mind to help you reach deeper into your goals, get crystal clean on your future, and achieve your dreams.
- Make a list of 10 Goals you hope to achieve in the coming months.
2. Write down a list of intentions for the upcoming month.
3. What is one thing that is no longer serving you? Write a goodbye letter to it and release your attachment to this thought/idea.
4. What do you hope to manifest this month? Make a list of 5 things you can do to help manifest your dreams.
5. How can you shift your routine to make your goals more achievable? Create a “schedule” to use over the next month.
6. How have you expressed your creativity lately? How does it feel to express yourself in this way?
7. Make a list of things that you’re passionate about! How do these things fit into other aspects of your life?
8. Is there any area of your life that feels particularly negative or stressful right now? How can you get a better handle on it?
9. What aspects of your life feel well balanced right now? How could these aspects be used to transform other areas of your life?
10. Which relationship in your life needs tending to? Name several ways in which you can work towards improving this relationship.
Four Easy New Moon Rituals to Try Now
Cleanse your Crystals
Taking the time to cleanse your crystals during the new moon is a great way to reset their energy and remove any negative or lingering energy that might be on them.
Carrying crystals and gems around with you or allowing others to use or hold them can transfer others energy onto your crystals. This can lessen their effectiveness and connection to them. A simple cleans will rid you of this and allow your crystals to shine their energies more purely.
- Use water to cleanse your crystals- Using natural spring water I will allow my water-safe crystals to soak over night. In the morning I discard the water and carefully dry each crystal. Double Check which crystals can be submerged in water. For example selenite and water DO NOT MIX.
- Cleanse with incense smoke- light an incense and allow the smoke to dance around each crystal. Using an incense like patchouli will help to ground you and your crystals for the spiritual work ahead. Open a window and stay a prayer as you watch the incense smoke carry away the old energy into the night.
- Sage away the negativity- I love to sage my space during the new moon and make sure to do my crystals as well. Just like the incense I open a window, say a prayer, and release the negative energy from my life and from my crystals.
Cleanse and Reset your Sacred Space-
During the new moon, take the time to remove everything from your altar or meditation space. Dust the surface, vacuum or sweep the floor, sage your space, and reset your crystals, cards, figurines, and other altar items. This helps to jumpstart the new intentions of your spiritual space.
Ground Yourself for Stability –
When you’re going down the path of self discovery getting grounded will protect you from going off the rails.
Getting in touch with nature is a great way to embrace the new moon energy and give you stability as you move forward.
Try these New Moon Grounding Exercises
- Go outside and stand in the moon light bare foot in the grass, sand, or dirt. Examine the moonless sky and reset your intentions.
- You can get your hands dirty by planting or repotting a plant in your home or garden.
Clarity Tarot Card Pull for the New Moon-
Doing a Tarot Card Pull is my absolute favorite way to set my intentions and get clarity on things. For the New Moon I often just pull one card after a great shuffle. I ask the deck what I need to pay attention to in the coming month. After I do a card pull I also journal a little about what I think it means. It helps me to pay attention to anything that might be lurking in the background.
New Moon Journal Prompts in Action
The above prompts can be used each and every month to reset your intentions, set goals, and start something new. When incorporated with new moon rituals and meditation, these journal prompts will help you reach your goals quickly with crystal clear focus.
What's on your mind?